Tuesday, November 1, 2011

[Healthy_Recipes_For_Diabetic_Friends] Re: Clam Chowder - 25.9g Carbs, 2.7g Fiber ... potato substitutes lower carbs

 

--- In Healthy_Recipes_For_Diabetic_Friends@yahoogroups.com, "Chef Gloria 1030" <chefgloria1030@...> wrote:
>
> Clam Chowder - 25.9g Carbs, 2.7g Fiber
>
> 1 1/2 cups peeled, cubed potatoes

I love clam chowder and beef stew, but the potatoes don't work for me. I wind up pushing the potatoes to the side and eating very little of the potatoes. Although the taste will not be the same I find substituting cauliflower for the potato is an excellent alternative. When I cut up cauliflower I use the florets for my cauliflower dish and save the stems. I cut off the outer tough parts and cube what's left. If I'm not going to use the cubed stems immediately I put them in the freezer in a bag. This lowers the carbs of the stew or chowder without changing the character of the dish dramatically. You can also try the same trick using broccoli stems. Can anyone suggest other good potato substitutes in recipes like this?

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.

.

__,_._,___