Cashew Chicken Over Brown Rice - 41g Carbs, 7g Fiber
From: Diabetes Friendly Dinners and Desserts Cookbook
Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 40 min
Total Time: 55 min
1 1/2 cups yellow onions, chopped, divided
1/2 cup brown rice
1 cup chicken broth, fat-free, low-sodium
2 Tbsp olive oil
12 oz chicken, breast, boneless, skinless, cut into 2-inch pieces
2 cloves garlic, chopped
3 medium red bell peppers, seeded and thinly sliced
1/4 cup water chestnuts, canned, drained and sliced
1 Tbsp soy sauce, less sodium
3 1/2 cups bok choy, leaves only, chopped
1 1/2 tsp cumin, ground
1 Tbsp maple syrup
4 Tbsp cashews, raw
1 Tbsp cilantro, fresh (or parsley), chopped
1. Coat a medium-sized pot with cooking spray and warm over medium heat. Saute a 1/2 cup of onion for two minutes.
2. Add rice and cook three minutes more. Add broth, cover and bring to boil. Reduce the heat to low, cook at a low simmer until rice is tender, about 40 to 45 minutes, adding more water if needed.
3. When there are 15 minutes left for cooking the rice, place a large skillet over high medium-heat. Add oil and chicken. Brown the chicken thoroughly and when no longer pink in the middle, transfer it to a dish and set aside.
4. Return the skillet to medium heat. Add the remaining onions, garlic, peppers, water chestnuts and soy sauce. When peppers and onions are soft, add bok choy. Stir until wilted.
5. Stir in cumin, maple syrup, cashews and cooked chicken. Remove from heat.
6. Divide the rice into serving dishes and top with chicken mixture. Sprinkle with cilantro and serve. Enjoy.
Nutrition per Serving: 399 Calories, 15g Total Fat, 2g Saturated Fat, 54mg Cholesterol, 367mg Sodium, 41g Carbs, 7g Dietary Fiber, 27g Protein
Posted by: email@example.com
|Reply via web post||•||Reply to sender||•||Reply to group||•||Start a New Topic||•||Messages in this topic (1)|