Saturday, January 21, 2012

[Healthy_Recipes_For_Diabetic_Friends] Re: graham cracker recipe

 

You can decrease the sweetner by half. When I was growing up my mother routinely halved the sweetner and the fat in baking cookies especially with no lose in quality.
Since the graham crackers are rolled out though it may be to dry, if it is add 1 egg white or 1-2 tablespons water. That will add some more moisture to help keep the dough together and the egg white will add protein without adding fat.

I've never made marshmallows before so no idea if a recipe would work with less sweetner or any substitutes.

Marleena

--- In Healthy_Recipes_For_Diabetic_Friends@yahoogroups.com, "lmemsm" <ml@...> wrote:
>
> I have a lot of food allergies. I've seen several recipes call for graham crackers, but I haven't found a commercial variant that I'm comfortable with. Thought I'd try making my own. Ran across this recipe from Rodales for homemade marshmallows and graham crackers:
> http://www.rodale.com/homemade-marshmallows
> Found the graham crackers too sweet for my taste. However, upon further Internet searching, most graham cracker recipes not only use honey but sugar too. Would like something less sweet, not more. Was wondering if anyone knew any healthy graham cracker recipes that weren't too sweet or could suggest some ways to vary the Rodales recipe to make it less sweet. By the way, the marshmallows came out pretty good once they set up in the refrigerator and they seem to use less sweetener than most marshmallow recipes I've seen. However, I've yet to see a marshmallow recipe that didn't use a lot of sweeteners of some variety.
>
> Thanks.
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___