Monday, January 23, 2012

[Healthy_Recipes_For_Diabetic_Friends] Re: graham cracker recipe

 

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll give the water substitution a try in the graham crackers. Was worried about just lowering the sweetener amount since it's also a liquid. Usually works fine for sugar, but liquid sweeteners seem trickier to work with. The other thing I've tried with honey is to replace part with an equal amount of rice syrup or barley malt. They seem less sweet and they're more slowly absorbed. Lessening the honey for the marshmallow part of the recipe by replacing part with water does seem to work. I did try that when I made the first batch. The marshmallow recipe seems to work okay with any decent liquid sweetener and water. It's nice having marshmallows again once in a while. I haven't had them in ages.

--- In Healthy_Recipes_For_Diabetic_Friends@yahoogroups.com, "emaegf" <emalkire@...> wrote:
>
> You can decrease the sweetner by half. When I was growing up my mother routinely halved the sweetner and the fat in baking cookies especially with no lose in quality.
> Since the graham crackers are rolled out though it may be to dry, if it is add 1 egg white or 1-2 tablespons water. That will add some more moisture to help keep the dough together and the egg white will add protein without adding fat.
>
> I've never made marshmallows before so no idea if a recipe would work with less sweetner or any substitutes.

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___