Sunday, October 14, 2012

RE: [Healthy_Recipes_For_Diabetic_Friends] Bánh Xèo

 

Yes, Health Food Stores also many grocery stores would have it if not by the regular flour in the organic section or you can make your own with a food processer or blender.

http://detoxinista.com/2012/04/make-your-own-cheaper-almond-flour/

Marleena

From: Healthy_Recipes_For_Diabetic_Friends@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Healthy_Recipes_For_Diabetic_Friends@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Michael
Sent: Sunday, October 14, 2012 8:49 PM
To: Healthy_Recipes_For_Diabetic_Friends@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Healthy_Recipes_For_Diabetic_Friends] Bánh Xèo

I thought about trying almond flour but I've never cooked with it. These particular crêpes/pancakes are slightly puffy and crispy around the edges so they're not like the typical French version. I always thought they were in an egg batter until I tried making them myself and realized they use rice flour. The yellow "egg" color comes from the turmeric. I love them, they're very filling, and except for the batter, are very low-carb. The dipping sauce (a combination of fish sauce, lime juice, sugar, water, and sliced chilies) tasted just fine when I made it with Splenda. The coconut milk in the batter is optional as it's only used when making them Saigon-style.

So where does one usually find almond flour? I assume that a natural foods store would carry it? They might even have it in the bulk bins of my supermarket but like I said, I've never cooked with it. The recipes I make that call for flour typically use so little per serving (such as lightly dusting a pan-seared piece of fish or chicken) that we use wheat or all-purpose flour.

From: E Marleena Alkire
Sent: Sunday, October 14, 2012 12:26 PM
To: Healthy_Recipes_For_Diabetic_Friends@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Healthy_Recipes_For_Diabetic_Friends%40yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: [Healthy_Recipes_For_Diabetic_Friends] Bánh Xèo

You could try Almond Flour, any nut flour will work, or Coconut Flour. I've never made them before but I do have to convert recipes to be gluten free and a lot of gluten free people are subbing in these two flours.

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (2)
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___