Monday, October 22, 2012

Re: [Healthy_Recipes_For_Diabetic_Friends] Bánh Xèo

 

Tried this tonight using 1/2 almond flour and 1/2 rice flour. The recipe was a total flop as there wasn't enough gluten to hold the crêpes together. At least we were able to pick out the pork, shrimp, and mushrooms before tossing the rest down the garbage disposer.

As with most things low-carb, I'd rather eat the real stuff in small quantities than the low-carb substitutes. So now that I spent $10 for a pound of almond flour, what else is it good for? The only thing I can think of is maybe some almond cookies if I do some Christmas baking this year.

And if there is anyone else on this list that cooks *authentic* Southeast Asian, Japanese, or Korean recipes (no Americanized-Chinese, please), what kind of low-carb recipes do you make at home?

From: E Marleena Alkire
Sent: Sunday, October 14, 2012 7:28 PM
To: Healthy_Recipes_For_Diabetic_Friends@yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [Healthy_Recipes_For_Diabetic_Friends] Bánh Xèo

Yes, Health Food Stores also many grocery stores would have it if not by the regular flour in the organic section or you can make your own with a food processer or blender.

http://detoxinista.com/2012/04/make-your-own-cheaper-almond-flour/

Marleena

From: mailto:Healthy_Recipes_For_Diabetic_Friends%40yahoogroups.com [mailto:mailto:Healthy_Recipes_For_Diabetic_Friends%40yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Michael
Sent: Sunday, October 14, 2012 8:49 PM
To: mailto:Healthy_Recipes_For_Diabetic_Friends%40yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Healthy_Recipes_For_Diabetic_Friends] Bánh Xèo

I thought about trying almond flour but I've never cooked with it. These particular crêpes/pancakes are slightly puffy and crispy around the edges so they're not like the typical French version. I always thought they were in an egg batter until I tried making them myself and realized they use rice flour. The yellow "egg" color comes from the turmeric. I love them, they're very filling, and except for the batter, are very low-carb. The dipping sauce (a combination of fish sauce, lime juice, sugar, water, and sliced chilies) tasted just fine when I made it with Splenda. The coconut milk in the batter is optional as it's only used when making them Saigon-style.

So where does one usually find almond flour? I assume that a natural foods store would carry it? They might even have it in the bulk bins of my supermarket but like I said, I've never cooked with it. The recipes I make that call for flour typically use so little per serving (such as lightly dusting a pan-seared piece of fish or chicken) that we use wheat or all-purpose flour.

From: E Marleena Alkire
Sent: Sunday, October 14, 2012 12:26 PM
To: mailto:Healthy_Recipes_For_Diabetic_Friends%40yahoogroups.com <mailto:Healthy_Recipes_For_Diabetic_Friends%40yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: [Healthy_Recipes_For_Diabetic_Friends] Bánh Xèo

You could try Almond Flour, any nut flour will work, or Coconut Flour. I've never made them before but I do have to convert recipes to be gluten free and a lot of gluten free people are subbing in these two flours.

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (1)
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___