Thursday, June 13, 2013

[Healthy_Recipes_For_Diabetic_Friends] Dal Bhaji–A Recipe Redux - 31g Carbs, 14g Fiber

 

Dal Bhaji–A Recipe Redux - 31g Carbs, 14g Fiber

From: blog.fatfreevegan.com - by Susan Voisin on June 14, 2007

Think of it as the Indian version of sloppy joes. Pav Bhaji, the
wonderful street food of Mumbai, traditionally consists of a potato
and vegetable curry (or bhaji) served on a bun (or pav). I've never
had the pleasure of sampling Pav Bhaji in Mumbai, but I did cook up
my own version last year, and it was immediately one of my favorite
foods.

I got a craving for pav bhaji last week, but there was a little
problem: I've been limiting my servings of starchy vegetables
lately, and if I wanted to stick to my diet, I could either have
the bread or the potatoes but not both. So I decided to do a
little revamp of the recipe and substitute quick-cooking moong dal
for the potatoes. I have to say that it was a huge success. I
think I'll be making dal bhaji from now on!

I also strayed from tradition in my choice of bread. My husband
and I ate this hot off the stove packed in whole wheat pita pockets
for dinner. The next day, we ate the leftovers cold, scooped up
with triangles of pita bread; hot or cold, it makes a great dip
for pitas or crackers. Serve it at your next party and it may be
the most colorful dip your guests have ever seen, with its flecks
of green and orange and red vegetables. And with all those vegetables
and its 14 grams of fiber per serving, it will definitely be the
healthiest!

I used zucchini in this recipe because I didn't have any cauliflower, so
feel free to substitute other vegetables for the ones listed here. If
you're not a fan of spicy food, be careful with the masala and the
chili pepper. Add a little and taste; you can always add more if
necessary.

Preparation time: 15 min
Cooking time: 45 min
Servings: 6

1 cup moong dal or red lentils
3 cups water
1 cup EACH: green beans, carrots, zucchini, cabbage, all finely diced
1/2 cup frozen green peas
1 large onion chopped finely
1 tsp ginger, minced
1 tsp minced garlic
1 bell pepper, finely chopped
2 - 3 tsp pav bhaji masala (spice mix available at Indian markets) (use less for less spicy bhaji)
1/2 tsp red chili powder or cayenne, or to taste
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
3 roma tomatoes, finely chopped
Salt, to taste
1/2 tsp lemon juice

Put the dal and water in a pot and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat
to low and simmer until the dal is softened, about 15 minutes. Add
more water if necessary to prevent it from drying out.

Cook the green beans, carrots, zucchini, and cabbage in water until
soft. (I did this in the pressure cooker, with 1/2 cup of water at
high pressure for 5 minutes.) When they're soft, add the peas and
mash the vegetables well, in the liquid. Stir in the cooked dal.

Heat a good non-stick wok or large pot. Add the onions and cook,
adding a little water as necessary, until they begin to brown, about
4 minutes. Add the ginger, garlic, and bell peppers and cook for
another 2 minutes.

Stir in the pav bhaji masala, red chili powder, turmeric, and salt.
Add the tomatoes, and cook until they start to break down, about
5 minutes. Add the mashed vegetables and salt to taste. Cook on
low for about 20 minutes. Add lemon juice and serve on toasted
buns, with pita bread, or as a dip.

Servings: 6
Nutrition per Serving:
169 Calories, 1g Total Fat, 4% calories from fat, 12g Protein,
31g Carbs, 14g Fiber, 0mg Cholesterol, 39mg Sodium

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (1)
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___