A Nutritious Chlorophyll Rich Green Soup - 21g Carbs, 6g Fiber, 2g Sugars
By: Claire Georgiou, Reboot Naturopath, B.HSc ND
We are all fans of greens blended in smoothies, but they are also excellent when blended for a soup! This is a very thick but nourishing and light soup that combines so many nutrient-dense greens! Peas are high in fiber at 9g per cup and protein at 8g per cup which makes it a great food for healthy weight control. This soup is full of chlorophyll and rich with important micronutrients such as Vitamin K, manganese, iron, calcium, Vitamin B and Vitamin C. Peas are also high in antioxidants, one called coumestrol that has been shown to protect against stomach cancer.
Note: This soup will freeze easily and will store in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Prep time: 20 min
Cook time: 15 min
Total time: 35 min
1 Tbsp olive oil OR coconut oil
1 leek, sliced
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1/2 head broccoli, chopped
4 kale leaves, chopped
1 zucchini, chopped
1 lb baby peas (fresh or frozen)
3 cups vegetable broth or vegetable stock
1 small handful of fresh parsley OR 1 tsp dried
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried tarragon
1. Wash, prepare, chop and slice vegetables.
2. Heat oil in medium size pot and saute over a low to medium heat the leeks and garlic until translucent.
3. Add in the broccoli, kale, and zucchini and stir for a few minutes.
4. Add the peas and stock and bring to the boil then turn down the heat.
5. Add remaining ingredients and simmer for 10 minutes or until the vegetables are soft.
6. Once cooked, use a stick blender and blend the soup to form a smoother texture or leave a little chunky. You can also use a normal blender or chop vegetables into bite size pieces and leave super chunky.
7. Add in any fresh herbs for garnish (optional) and serve immediately.
Leek – scallions, spring onion, brown onion
Broccoli – brussels sprouts, kale, spinach
Kale – spinach, silverbeet
Zucchini – celery, silverbeet
Peas – green split peas
Nutrition per Serving: 130 Calories, 0g Fat, 0g Saturated Fat, 0mg Cholesterol, 190mg Sodium, 21g Carbs, 6g Fiber, 2g Sugars, 6g Protein
Nutrition From: www.caloriecount.about.com
Does not include added salt! Does use low sodium vegetable broth!
Serving Size: 335 g
Nutrition per Serving: 142 Calories, 25 Calories from Fat, 2.8g Total Fat, 0g Trans Fat, 0mg Cholesterol, 292mg Sodium, 524mg Potassium, 23.7g Total Carbs, 7.1g Dietary Fiber, 5.7g Sugars, 7.2g Protein
Vitamin A 180% - Vitamin C 160% - Calcium 11% - Iron 15%
Nutrition Grade: A
Low in saturated fat
High in dietary fiber
High in iron
Very high in manganese
High in potassium
High in thiamin
Very high in vitamin A
High in vitamin B6
Very high in vitamin C
Posted by: email@example.com
|Reply via web post||•||Reply to sender||•||Reply to group||•||Start a New Topic||•||Messages in this topic (1)|