Monday, April 29, 2013

[Healthy_Recipes_For_Diabetic_Friends] Re: ice cream machine

 

> I would like to buy an ice cream machine if I would be able to make low carb - low fat frozen yogurts, sorbets, and ic creams. Is this a possibility? I'm new to diabetes.
>
> dolores

I have for the most part switched to making gelato in my ice cream freezer. I prefer it to ice cream with its rich, creamy flavor. I am usually satisfied with a single, small dip. It's just a superior ice cream, IMO.

I use the recipes in the book "Making Artisan Gelato" by Kopfer and especially like the chocolate. Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/Making-Artisan-Gelato-Techniques-Flavor-Infused/dp/159253418X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1367259402&sr=8-1&keywords=artisan+gelato

To lower the calories and carbs in my cooking (including gelato) I use the following products:

Wheylow sugar. This is a combination of natural sugars and generally behaves just like normal sugar. There are several sources, but I usually order from the manufactured at http://www.wheylow.com/
There are other whey-based sugar products but I haven't tried them.

Low-carb milk. Here an artificial sweetener is used to replace the natural sugars in milk. My wife is sensitive to artificial sweeteners but she has not complaints when I cook with it. I have used Hood Calorie Countdown milk for years, but have a hard time getting it here (only one store will special order it for me). Kroger recently came out with a store brand called Carb Master. I have tried it and it also seems satisfactory, though my experience is limited. I love drinking milk with meals and both products are satisfactory to me.

Every diabetic is different. As I have lost weight and become more fit I have reduced my medications and seem less effected by a moderate amount of carbs. You may find these products less useful but they are worth trying, especially if you are a milk drinker. Good luck, and if you have never tried gelato but love ice cream you really should give it a try.

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (3)
Recent Activity:
MARKETPLACE


.

__,_._,___