Wednesday, February 22, 2012

[Healthy_Recipes_For_Diabetic_Friends] CP Enchilada Pie - 41g Carbs, 9g Fiber

 

Enchilada Pie - 41g Carbs, 9g Fiber

From: Healthy Cooking December/January 2011, p42

This impressive, hearty dish is perfect for vegetarians and meat
eaters alike. — Jacqueline Correa, Landing, New Jersey

This recipe is:
Healthy
Diabetic Friendly

Prep: 40 min
Cook: 4 hours
Servings: 8

1 (12 oz pkg) frozen vegetarian meat crumbles
1 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped green pepper
2 tsp canola oil
1 (16 oz can) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 (15 oz can) black beans, rinsed and drained
1 (10 oz can) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
1/2 cup water
1 1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp pepper
6 whole wheat tortillas (8 inches)
2 cups (8 oz) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese

Cut three 25-in. x 3-in. strips of heavy-duty foil; crisscross so they
resemble spokes of a wheel. Place strips on the bottom and up the sides
of a 5-qt. slow cooker. Coat strips with cooking spray.

In a large saucepan, cook the meat crumbles, onion and green pepper in
oil until vegetables are tender. Stir in both cans of beans, tomatoes,
water, chili powder, cumin and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat;
simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.

In prepared slow cooker, layer about 3/4 cup bean mixture, one tortilla
and 1/3 cup cheese. Repeat layers five times. Cover and cook on low for
4-5 hours or until heated through and cheese is melted.

Using foil strips as handles, remove the pie to a platter.

Editor's Note:
Vegetarian meat crumbles are a nutritious protein source made from
soy. Look for them in the natural foods freezer section.

Servings: 8
Serving Size: 1/8
Nutrition per Serving:
367 Calories, 11 g Fat, 4g Saturated Fat, 20mg Cholesterol, 818mg Sodium,
41g Carbs, 9g Fiber, 25g Protein

Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 2 lean meat, 1 fat

User Reviews:

Reviewed on Mar. 07, 2011 by kathleen ng
I have to say, I worried about it, but it was pretty good. I put a
little salsa and sour cream on it and used ground chicken since my
husband didn't like the idea of the crumbles. It was a hit with
everyone except my 10 year old. I don't think chili powder is his
thing. But he ate it anyway.

Reviewed on Jan. 26, 2011 by CindyRadd
My family loved it...it came out perfect

Reviewed on Dec. 31, 2010 by Kathleen2011
When I make chili I do not use beans - I've never been crazy about
beans. I've not used the veggie meat crumbles before. But I have
vowed to change my eating habits in 2011, and this recipe was
definitely outside my comfort zone. I really wasn't expecting to
like it! Having said all that . . . I LOVE THIS DISH! I will
definitely make it again and I will be sharing it with family
and friends!

Reviewed on Dec. 11, 2010 by mjlouk
I used ground beef instead of the faux meat crumbles but we didn't
care for this at all. Maybe if it had salsa and sour cream on top
of it.

Reviewed on Dec. 08, 2010 by BingoLaura2
Absolutely wonderful in and amazingly easy. Only thing I did different
was I did make it with ground beef.

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___